Jan 10, 2007

Tar Paper: What's the big deal?

Amazing, there are people who don't know about tar paper. I took a small wall hanging of tar paper roses attached to a 5" x 6" plywood to the Artist Exchange at the Copley Society this past Wednesday evening to show to the group. Jason Brockert didn't know what to make of the piece until I explained tar paper to him, and then he found it interesting. It is a tar (just like the stuff that goes on roads) impregnated paper, that is used extensively in roofing. It comes in huge rolls, about 36" wide, is black (just like tar), costs around $20 for the roll, and has faint white lines on one side to help in laying it out on roofing projects. It has a wonderful soft black color, very dense and with deep tones. It also has a very pronounced grain, which enables smooth tears along the length. It folds well with the slightest crease. It is also called roofing felt by some people.

All of the above is why I like using it so much. I've used it as a support for collages, I've made little boxes out of it, and now I'm using it for folded roses.

No comments: